Benefits of a Board & Train Program
Many dog owners find it convenient to put the initial training process in our experienced hands. Think of the board and train program as a personal canine boot camp. Your puppy or dog enjoys an extended stay with us at our kennel in Frankfort, working with experienced dog trainers to learn basic commands, life skills and the fundamentals of good behavior.
The combination of boarding and obedience training is great for dog owners who find it difficult to set aside time to work on skills at home. You can also time a stay for when you’re out of town or on vacation.
Our Jumpstart program is a hassle-free way to give your pet important foundational dog training. We also have board and train programs for puppies that address socialization and potty and crate training.
What’s Included in Our Dog Training Sessions
Here’s what you can expect when you drop off your dog for obedience classes at The Dog Wizard’s Frankfort training facility.
Lexington Dog Board & Train Program Options
The Dog Wizard offers two board and dog training options in Lexington, depending on the age of your pet: Jumpstart and Puppy Jumpstart that range from 7-day programs to 21-day programs.
Jumpstart (7, 14, or 21 days)
Our Jumpstart training program is ideal for dogs older than six months, including rescue dogs. It provides:
- Boarding for 7, 14 or 21 days at our kennel
- Dog obedience lessons with professional dog trainers at our training facility
- One lesson for you and your family at home when we drop off your dog — we demonstrate your pet’s new skills and explain how to reinforce the training
- One follow-up lesson focused on problem-solving any issues you experience after your pet comes home
- Weekly support group class once your dog graduates for your dog’s lifetime
- A private Facebook support group to share tips with other dog owners
- Treat pouch
Jumpstart Dog Training Curriculum
Our dog trainers focus on the basic skills and appropriate behaviors that help improve communication between you and your pet. These includes:
- Basic commands such as come, sit, place, down and off
- Learning to calm and settle
- Minor to moderate behavior modification, if needed
Puppy Jumpstart (7, 14, or 21 Days)
This puppy training program is specifically designed for dogs between the ages of 10 weeks and six months.
The Puppy Jumpstart program includes:
- Puppy boarding for 7, 14, or 21 days at our kennel
- Obedience classes with experienced dog trainers at our facility
- Home lesson for you and your family to show you how to maintain the training once your puppy is home
- Follow-up puppy class for problem-solving any issues you’re experiencing with your newly trained pet
- Treat pouch
Puppy Training Curriculum
In the Puppy Jumpstart program, our dog trainer focuses on fundamental skills and behaviors to prevent behavioral problems from forming. Obedience training for puppies includes:
- Potty and crate training
- Settling using the sit-on-the-dog tethering technique
- Learning not to jump, bark or bite
- Exposure to a variety of objects to build familiarity and confidence (object socialization)
- Loose-leash walking
- Basic obedience commands such as come, sit, place, down and off